Due to the national lockdown, all performances for Private Peaceful are currently cancelled. If new dates are announced, we will update the information when it becomes available.
A moving love story set during the horrifying events of the First World War, Private Peaceful is a tale of love, loss and courage set to enthral audiences at the Garrick Theatre from 7th November 2020.
Based on the best-selling novel by War Horse author Michael Morpurgo, Private Peaceful tells the story of Private Tommo Peaceful, who looks back on his Devon upbringing, his romance with childhood sweetheart, Molly and the terrible events that saw him taken from this idyllic setting and into the horrors of war.
This new production of Private Peaceful first opened as part of the Barn Theatre’s first outdoor theatre festival, BarnFest, in August 2020. It then transferred to The Barn Theatre in September, making it one of the first major indoor productions in the UK since the COVID lockdown. It will play at the Garrick Theatre from 7th to 22nd of November for a special socially distanced season.
Cast & Creative
Private Tommo is played by Emily Costello, the first female performer to play Tommo professionally in a performance that was described by Michael Morpurgo as “extraordinary.” James Demaine will play Charlie and various other roles. Private Peaceful has been staged so that the two actors never touch and are socially distanced
Private Peaceful is directed by Alexander Knott, with Zöe Grain as associate director and movement director and composition by James Demaine. Sound design is by Harry Smith and lighting design by Sam Rowcliffe-Tanner.
Online Check-in will be required for this event
To assist with test and trace the venue are introducing an airline-style check-in.
- 48 hours before your performance you will receive a pre-visit email with a check-in link from Nimax Theatres
- You will be required to confirm that members of your party do not have Covid-19 symptoms – if you cannot confirm this you will be given details on how to exchange (this must be completed no later than 10am on the morning of your performance).
- Email address – this will be used to communicate pre-show procedures to you, assist with test and trace and provide e-tickets on completion of check-in.
- The venue will only accept E-ticket for admittance
- Nimax Theatres will provide you with a contactless e-tickets upon completion of “check-in”
Note that while London remains under Covid High-Level restrictions, by continuing with your booking you agree that the seats you are purchasing will enable only members of your household or support bubble to sit together.
Running time for Private Peaceful 1 hour and 10 minutes with no interval
Tickets for Private Peaceful are no longer available due to the national lockdown. Use the search form at the top of the page to access tickets for other upcoming shows at the Garrick Theatre.