Mel Brooks’ quirky musical Young Frankenstein receives its West End premiere at London’s Garrick Theatre, opening for a limited season beginning September 2017. Based on the 1974 Oscar-nominated film co-written with Thomas Meehan and starring Gene Wilder, the brand new production follows a Broadway run that closed in 2009.
Young Frankenstein is the wickedly inspired re-imagining of Mary Shelley’s classic novel, which sees the creation of a creature that cannot be controlled. When Frederick Frankenstein, a New York brain surgeon and professor, inherits a Transylvanian castle and laboratory from his genius, but deranged grandfather, Victor Von Frankenstein, he quickly has some decisions to make.
Facing a scary dilemma, young Frankenstein must choose whether to run from his grandfather’s frightening legacy or to continue to crazily experiment with reanimating the dead. And, in the process, will he fall in love with his sultry lab assistant, Inga?
Originally opening on Broadway in 2007, directed by Susan Stroman, Young Frankenstein received a variety of views, running for 484 performances. Stroman returns to direct a revamped, restyled production, reuniting with Mel Brooks and the creative team behind their last hit, The Producers.
A hilarious parody of cult horror films, Young Frankenstein begins previews at the Garrick Theatre on September 28th 2017, with a press night on October 10th 2017.
Cast and Creative
Based on the 1974 film, Young Frankenstein features a book by Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan, with music and lyrics by Mel Brooks, whose previous musicals include The Producers. Susan Stroman (The Scottsboro Boys, Crazy for You) directs and choreographs, with set design by Beowulf Boritt, costume design by William Ivey Long, orchestrations by Dough Besterman, lighting design by Ben Cracknell and sound design by Gareth Owen.
Casting for Young Frankenstein is yet to be announced.
- “Overture” – Orchestra
- “The Happiest in Town” – Kemp and Villagers
- “The Brain” – Frederick and Students
- “Please Don’t Touch Me” – Elizabeth and Voyagers
- “Together Again” – Frederick and Igor
- “Roll in the Hay” – Frederick, Igor and Inga
- “Join the Family Business” – Frederick, Victor and Ancestors
- “He Vas My Boyfriend” – Frau Blucher
- “Alone” – Elizabeth
- “Life, Life” – Frederick, Igor, Inga and Blucher
- “Welcome to Transylvania” – Transylvania Quartet
- “Transylvania Mania” – Frederick, Igor, Inga, Kemp and Villagers
- “He’s Loose” – Kemp and Villagers
- “Listen to Your Heart” – Inga
- “Surprise” – Elizabeth, Igor, Blucher and Entourage
- “Please Send Me Someone” – The Hermit
- “Man About Town” – Frederick
- “Puttin’ on the Ritz” – Frederick, The Monster, Igor, Inga and Ensemble
- “Deep Love” – Elizabeth
- “Frederick’s Soliloquy” – Frederick
- “Deep Love (Reprise)” – The Monster
- “Finale Ultimo” – The Company
Show Lengths and Times
Young Frankenstein opens at the Garrick Theatre London on October 10th 2017, with previews beginning September 28th 2017. The show is set to run for a limited season.
Show running time is yet to be announced.
Suitable for Children?
Young Frankenstein may not be suitable for young children. All persons entering the theatre must have their own ticket.
Tickets for Young Frankenstein at the Garrick Theatre London are now on sale. Find tickets by using the search form at the top right of the page.
Have you seen Young Frankenstein? If so please share your thoughts in the comments section below!